We offer online tutoring through UNT's GoToMeeting portal. From this website, you and a tutor can share and mark your paper while chatting live. Our online tutoring service allows you to discuss a paper or to ask questions from the comfort of your own home or office--anywhere you have an internet connection. Online tutoring is ideal for UNT students who live a long distance from our Denton campus or who cannot physically come to Sage 150.
You must schedule an appointment for online tutoring at least 24 hours in advance. You must also submit a digital copy of your paper 24 hours in advance of your tutoring session so that the tutor has time to read your paper before your session begins.
Online tutoring sessions last 30 minutes for undergraduate students; graduate students receive 1 hour online tutoring sessions. Online tutoring is available
- Monday through Thursday from 9:30 a.m. until 9:00 p.m.
- Friday from 9:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.
You can log on from your home or office for an online, live, interactive tutoring session. You and your tutor can
- Chat in real time
- Mark up your paper using drawing tools
- Edit the text of your paper with the tutor's help
To schedule an online tutoring session, you may either come by the Writing Center (Sage 150), call us at 940.565.2563, or email us at WritingCenter@unt.edu. You'll need to provide the following information:
- UNT student ID#
- Your email address
- Your phone number
- Your classification (undergraduate student or graduate student; graduate students should email requests for online tutoring to GradWriting@unt.edu)
- Your major
- Time and date you want to schedule your session (If you want an appointment on a Monday, you must schedule your online appointment no later than Friday at 2 p.m.)
- Class for which you're writing the paper
- Citation style you're using for this paper (APA, Chicago Manual of Style, MLA)
- Digital copy of the paper
- List of questions you want to discuss with the tutor
At the Time of Your Online Tutoring Session
To get the most out of your online tutoring session, you will need to actively participate in the session by asking and replying to questions. Our online tutoring sessions are in a virtual "chat" room; you'll see a dialog box where you can type questions and receive answers from the tutor. We currently do not have audio for online tutoring sessions. To begin your online tutoring session:
- Open your email
- Look for an email from the tutor with the subject line "Invitation to GoToMeeting"
- Click on the link to GoToMeeting
- Click on the link to open the session (it may take a moment or two, so please be patient)
- Follow the instructions on the website
- Look in the chat box for your paper and a greeting from the tutor
- Participate in your session by asking questions and giving feedback
- Look for an email from us with a copy of your paper with comments and/or track changes once your session is over