We offer online tutoring through UNT's Zoom portal. From this website, you and a tutor can share and mark your paper while chatting live, either through a chat box or video. Our online tutoring service allows you to discuss a paper or to ask questions from the comfort of your own home or office--anywhere you have an internet connection.
Online tutoring sessions last one hour for both undergraduate students and graduate students. Our fall semester hours of operation are as follows:
September 1 - December 11
- Sunday | 5 p.m until 9 p.m.
- Monday - Thursday | 9 a.m until 9 p.m.
- Fridays | 9 a.m. until 3 p.m.
You can log on from your home or office for an online, live, interactive tutoring session. You and your tutor can
- Chat in real time, either through a chat box or video. Please let us know which you prefer when scheduling your appointment.
- Mark up your paper using drawing tools
- Edit the text of your paper with the tutor's help
To schedule an online tutoring session, email us at WritingCenter@unt.edu. You'll need to provide the following information:
- UNT ID (Example: 12345678)
- Your email address
- Your phone number
- Your classification (undergraduate student or graduate student; graduate students should email requests for online tutoring to GradWriting@unt.edu)
- Your major
- Time and date you want to schedule your session
- Class for which you're writing the paper
- Name of the assignment
- Citation style you're using for this paper (APA, Chicago Manual of Style, MLA)
- Digital copy of the paper
- Whether you would prefer a video-based session or a chat box-based session
At the Time of Your Online Tutoring Session
To get the most out of your online tutoring session, you will need to actively participate in the session by asking and replying to questions. For chat box-based sessions, our online tutoring sessions are in a virtual "chat" room; you'll see a dialog box where you can type questions and receive answers from the tutor. To begin your online tutoring session:
- Open your email
- Look for an email from the tutor with the subject line "Invitation to GoToMeeting"
- Click on the link to GoToMeeting
- Click on the link to open the session (it may take a moment or two, so please be patient)
- Follow the instructions on the website
- Look in the chat box for your paper and a greeting from the tutor
- Participate in your session by asking questions and giving feedback
- Look for an email from us with a copy of your paper with comments and/or track changes once your session is over